Ski pass options for the Winter 2015-16 season
There are a number of different ski passes available in Chamonix. Prices vary according to your age, how many of you there are, what areas you'd like to ski in, how many days you want to ski and the time of year. Planning ahead can help you make the most of your Chamonix ski holiday and hopefully save you some money too.
If you're looking for pass prices, see our dedicated Ski Pass Prices page; or our Summer Lift Pass Prices.
You can buy your pass online but before you buy anything we recommend you check the weather forecasts on arrival, or speak to your accommodation provider who should be able to advise you of the best options - before you spend money on the wrong kind of pass for you or if the weather will be inclement.
There are four main types of 'Chamonix Ski Area' passes:
- Mont-Blanc Unlimited - Full Area Pass, including neighbouring resorts
- Chamonix Le Pass - Local Area Pass, suited to beginners and short breaks
- Les Houches - Smaller Local Ski Resort, suited to families
- Rapid Card - a prepaid, pay-as-you-go, non-consecutive multi-day loyalty pass
You can buy your pass online but we'd recommend you check the weather forecasts before you arrive, or speak to your accommodation provider who should be able to advise you of the best options before you get here.
Planning ahead can help you make the most of your ski holiday and hopefully save you some money too! You can read more below about the types of passes on offer, this year's ski pass prices and then buy or recharge your lift pass online here.
Advantages of the Mont Blanc Unlimited Ski Pass
The MBU pass includes all the ski areas of the Chamonix Le Pass, plus for the duration of the pass:
- Access to Verbier ski area, 50% discount on Verbier 4 Vallees 1 Day ski pass, maximum 1 day per week; on passes of 6-21 days (maximum 6 days per season apply to Season and Annual passes)
- Free and unlimited access to the Funivie Skyway Monte-Bianco, on passes of 1 day or more
- Chamonix offers skiing for the whole family. Both the Mont Blanc Unlimited and Chamonix Le Pass offer discount for 2 Adults + 1 Child, with additional other children skiing for free (limit of 4 freebies)
Full Area Skipass
Mont Blanc Unlimited Pass - Chamonix, Les Houches, Courmayeur, Verbier & Mont Blanc Evasion
Mont Blanc Unlimited – is the “all singing, all dancing” ski pass that will give you unlimited access to all the areas the Chamonix Le Pass does PLUS, top station Grand Montets (normally €10), Aiguille du Midi, Montenvers train, Tramway du Mont Blanc and unlimited access to Courmayeur (Italy) and Verbier (Switzerland), both of which are well worth a visit.
To ski in Courmayeur, you need to go to the cash desk on your first visit to activate your ski pass, after which you can simply go straight through the turnstiles. There are shuttle buses operating betweeen Chamonix and Courmayeur for holders of the MBU ski pass. Seats must be booked in advance by calling the following number: +33 (0)4 50 53 01 15 or online here. There are two buses per day that leave from the Chamonix Sud bus stops and drop you off in the centre of Courmayeur by the Tourist Office. From there it is a 5 minute walk to the main Courmayeur cable car or there is a shuttle bus service every 5 minutes to the Dolonne gondola (in case you come down that lift by accident at the end of the day).
If you decide to drive to Courmayeur instead, the MBU ticket also entitles you to reduced rates on the cost of a Mont Blanc Tunnel ticket. The tunnel staff will now accept your MBU ticket at the toll booths at the tunnel entrance. Tickets will be around 13.50€ one way.